I use eclipse for all development activities and started with multiple copies of eclipse for each topic. Say I am learning JUNIT, will have eclipse installation in one folder. Similarly I used to have a different installation for learning generics/annotations, android, webservices etc.
Over time I realized that in most cases I am using same version of eclipse and this setup is taking up lot of space (this is not really a big issue). As I started experimenting with maven and other code quality/metric tools, I needed to do the installation of these plugins in every installation of eclipse.
Another possible option is to have single eclipse installation with different workspaces for each specific task. This addresses the space issue, but I still need to install the plugins in different workspaces again and again. Having unrelated plugins takes up lot of memory and slows down the eclipse itself.
How about having workspaces for different plugins (grouped logically) and use whichever plugin set is required for your task? Not sure, but I do not have any better options at this point. While I play around on how to manage my workspace below trick would help in identifying which workspace is currently being used:
Add -showlocation as the first line in eclipse.ini, which would show the workspace name in the title bar.
No comments:
Post a Comment